Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Three Ingredient Tomato Sauce


I have friends that are Italian and I generally like to leave the Italian cooking to them. Especially when it comes to “making sauce.” The idea of “making sauce” the Italian ways scares the pants off me, because… you… don’t… use… a… recipe? ((Shudder)) 
I always use recipes. I might completely change a recipe, or I might decide to add more or less of something or add something completely new on the spot, but I rarely cook without something in front of me. A safety net, I guess? Because of this, I’d never made a good pasta sauce because all my favorite ones were “made up on the spot” by my friends. 
I stumbled upon this recipe that had 3… yes THREE ingredients and I knew I had to try it. Its so easy and it has SO much flavor. It is different than a traditional pasta sauce with a richer, heartier flavor, but this one is wonderful, especially for this time of year when I can justttt begin to feel summer coming. 
  • 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (high quality brand)
  • 1 onion, cut in half (peeled)
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • (literally, that is all)
Pour the tomatoes and butter into a saucepan and place the onion halves on top. Cook at a simmer for 45 minutes. At this point, the onion will be (more) tender and your sauce won’t be watery anymore. Remove the onion and discard. Taste for salt and pepper.
…… Serve over pasta. Hah! Its so easy. 
If you want to add more flavor, I have been known to add a dash of red pepper flakes, some basil (fresh or dried), and pancetta (that I cooked in a pan before). 

No comments:

Post a Comment