Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chicken and Sausage Paella


I’ve been craving a hearty rice dish recently. Usually my go-to recipe is some kind of risotto, however, I wanted to try something new tonight (that also wasn’t quite as heavy as risotto). I have never made paella before (and I’m not sure that I’ve actually eaten it in a number of years), so I can’t really say what made me think of it….. but, alas, I did. I’ve been looking online at a variety of recipes and then last night I opened the April issue of Bon Appetit and low and behold, there was a paella recipe (fate). SO, I used that recipe as a base and added/took out a few ingredients… and it turned out really well! Adapted from Bon Appetit, April 2010
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 cups white rice (I used long-grain)
  • 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
  • 6 ounces sausage (chorizo, or something with a spicy kick)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 cup sliced roasted red pepper (from a jar)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
In a very wide/large pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and rice and stir for about 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and stir until incorporated. Add the saffron threads, broth, and tomatoes with juice- stir to combine. Bring liquids to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. 
In a separate nonstick skillet, over medium heat, slightly brown the chicken pieces on each side. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, roasted red peppers, onions, and smoked paprika into the pan and cook 3 minutes longer. Add sausage and stir, cooking another 2 minutes. Remove from heat. 
After about 13 minutes take the top off the rice and add the peas and lemon zest. Stir and put the cover back on and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove top and stir in chicken/sausage mixture. Serve and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment