Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Chicken Piccata


Confession: I am pretty sure I went my whole life without ever eating chicken piccata. That is, until about a month ago. My dear friends E and J made this for me and I’ve been hooked ever since. I’ve tried a few recipes and have combined and adapted some things to make this yummy dish. As you can see, I did not add capers this time… I didn’t have any at home and I was too lazy to go to the grocery store— they do add a great flavor and texture, but it still tasted pretty great without. This is a great, easy light dish with a lot of flavor. Yum!

2 skinless and boneless chicken breasts, butterflied, cut in half, pounded flat
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup of all purpose flour, for dredging
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/4 brined capers, rinsed
  • 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and shake off the excess.
In a large 12-inch skillet over medium high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 3 tablespoons olive oil.  When butter and oil start to sizzle, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes (or until browned). Flip the chicken and cook the other side the same way. Remove from pan and place on a plate.
Add the lemon juice, chicken broth, white wine and capers and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the chicken back to the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and put it on a plate (again). Add the last 2 tablespoons of butter and whisk vigorously to incorporate. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Many enjoy this as is, and I’ve heard that some also enjoy it over pasta…
Recipe adapted from Giada De Laurentiis, Everyday Italian, & Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa

    No comments:

    Post a Comment