Search This Blog

Monday, February 7, 2011

Easy 3 Bean and Beef Chili


I recently thought that I would try making chili- something I’ve never done before. Historically, chili is not my favorite food… I’m not quite sure why, but I’ve just always avoided it. I kind of stumbled upon this recipe and it had wonderful reviews, so I thought why not? Doesn’t everyone need a good go-to chili recipe? (Apparently not, since I’ve gone 25 years without one, but you get my point)
So I tried this, fully expecting to hate it and throw it out after 1 bite… but much to my surprise, I LOVED it. Inhaled it. And if that isn’t enough, I even… ate it… for… LEFTOVERS, which if you know me, you understand how momentous this occasion was… I usually hate leftovers because I’m rarely in the mood to eat the same thing two days in a row. But would you believe me if I told you that I am planning on eating this 3, yes, THREE, nights in a row? Its that good. Adapted from Ellie Krieger’sThree Bean and Beef Chili
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, peeled, diced
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 pound lean ground beef (90-93% fat free)
  • 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
  • 2 cups water
  • 1-2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, seeded, diced (1 for milder chili)
  • 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried, crushed oregano 
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can pinto beans, rinsed, drained, and mushed (like refried beans, per Maryssa’s genius suggestion)
  • salt and pepper
Put a large pot (preferably nonstick) on medium heat and heat the olive oil. Add the diced veggies and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft (for about 10 minutes). Add the cumin, a bit of salt and pepper, and stir another minute. Add the ground beef and stir, breaking up into pieces, until it loses its pink color. Add the tomatoes, water, chipotles, and adobo sauce, stir to combine and cook partially covered for about 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Add the beans, and stir to mix well, incorporating all ingredients. Cook another 10-20 minutes, partially covered, stirring every few minutes- to make sure the bottom doesn’t burn you might have to stir more frequently at this stage. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream. ENJOY. 

No comments:

Post a Comment