Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Enchiladas!


I made these enchiladas the other night and they were amazing! I really love mexican food of all kinds and this did not disappoint. I was at the grocery store and they were having a sale on cheese (best day ever) and so I bought a few different kinds of Monterey jack cheese and figured I’d mix them all up and see how it turned out. Then when I got home I threw a few things in as I went, based on what I had in my fridge… and I didn’t seem to mess them up! So, I think these would be good with just about any filling you’d like. This is what I did…….
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 2-3 oz. monterey jack cheese, grated
  • 2-3 oz. pepper jack cheese, grated
  • 2-3 oz. colby jack cheese, grated
  • 4 oz. goat cheese
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • Shredded chicken breast (cooked)… I used rotisserie chicken
  • enchilada sauce or yummy salsa (I used a combination of store-bought red enchilada sauce and guacatillo salsa, which I think is a mix between guacamole and tomatillo salsa… and yes, it is as amazing as it sounds)
Saute the zucchini and red onion in a pan with a bit of olive oil until onion and zucchini are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
Take the corn tortillas and layer in between each with a damp paper towel. Heat in the microwave for about 20 seconds, just to get them more foldable, so they don’t crack and break when you roll them. 
Layer a bit of enchilada sauce/salso on the bottom of an 8x8 pan. 
To assemble the enchiladas… take a tortilla from the pile and put a bit of goat cheese on the bottom… maybe about 1 1/2 teaspoons per tortilla? Then add the veggie mixture, and the chicken. Sprinkle with some of the jack cheese. Roll together and place fold down in the pan. Continue the same way with the others, placing them close together in the pan. Pour remaining sauce/salsa on top and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes in 350 degree oven. Serve with sour cream, rice, beans, whatever you’d like! 
***Note: I made these vegetarian once by not using chicken and adding spinach and they were amazing! If you like mushrooms, you could add them and they might taste good (that is, if you don’t mind eating rubber… eh hem, clearly I do not like mushrooms). Very adaptable recipe. Try ‘em out!

No comments:

Post a Comment