Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Guacamole!

My family has always loved guacamole... and my brother loves it so much that one year for his birthday he wanted a guacamole cake, which he made by layering guac and tortilla chips... It was really great. And to this day he makes the best guac I've ever had. I cannot say that I make it as good as he does, but I've watched him over the years and think this recipe is pretty awesome. The key to my brother's recipe (and this one) is fresh cilantro and fresh lime juice... oh, and a good amount of salt and pepper.

INGREDIENTS
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 or 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- handful chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 medium jalepeno, seeded and chopped
- juice of 1-2 limes
- a few dashes of cumin
- 1 tomato, chopped
- salt and pepper

Scoop the avocado out of the skin and place in a bowl. Add the garlic and onion and mix together, breaking down the larger pieces of avocado with a spoon or fork. Add the cilantro, jalepeno lime juice and cumin and stir together. Salt and pepper to taste. At this point you may add more of any of the aforementioned ingredients as you see fit. I often add more lime juice and salt. Add the tomato and stir together.

Serve with tortilla chips. Serves 4-6.

2 comments:

  1. I've made guacamole before but it definitely didn't taste as good as this. I added 1 tsp of vinegar to it, also. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take credit... its all my big brother! :)
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete