Search This Blog

Friday, April 27, 2012

Cold Brew Iced Coffee

Coffee has taken over my life. I dream about it approximately 2x/week (pathetic, yet truthful). I can't wait to go to sleep at night and wake up in the morning so that I can pour myself a big strong cup. I don't even mind that some days I drink so much that my heart races and I am convinced that I'm having a panic attack. Its worth it.

Now that the temperature is heating up, its iced coffee time! But hot-brewed iced coffee is often too acidic and/or tastes burnt, or old, or just gross. So I bought myself a cold-brew Bodum, which is completely unnecessary to making cold brew coffee, but definitely makes the process a bit easier. I highly recommend it.

INGREDIENTS
3-4 oz. coffee beans
5 cups filtered water
2 large containers (pitcher, large coffee press, etc.)
1 coffee filter
1 fine mesh strainer or colander
creamer, simple syrup, sweetened condensed milk (whatever you like in your coffee)

Grind the coffee beans (medium-coarse grind) and place in the bottom of one of the large bowls, pitchers, or containers. Pour the filtered water on top and stir to combine and soak all coffee grounds into the water. Cover tightly and keep on the kitchen counter (not the fridge) for 12 hours. Depending on how strong you like your coffee, you may want to add more or less coffee grounds or let it sit for more or less than 12 hours. Once it has finished "brewing," you're ready to strain the coffee grounds. This is when the Bodum press is handy- you can just press the grinds down to the bottom and pour straight from the container. Otherwise, set up a coffee filter over a fine mesh strainer and place over your other large bowl/pitcher/container. Slowly pour the coffee and let the filter/strainer gather all the coffee grounds. There you have it! Will stay good in fridge for at least 1 week, but it probably won't last that long.

Pour into a glass over ice and add milk and sweetener if you so desire (remember, though, that granulated sugar won't dissolve easily in iced drinks, so you may want to make a simple syrup or, if you're really bold, sweeten your drink with sweeten condensed milk).

No comments:

Post a Comment