Search This Blog

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes!

These are the best pancakes in the world. Seriously. I feel strongly that you need to make them ASAP. As in tomorrow morning for Sunday brunch. These get my highest stamp of approval.

I found this recipe on one of my favorite food blogs Let's Dish and it took very little convincing for me to make them after I read that the blogger's entire family deemed these the best pancakes they'd ever tasted. I told this story as I was serving these this morning and was met with vigorous head nods in agreement after the first bite (no words were spoken because mouths were full of buttery sweet banana cakes). Oh, and I served these with a sweet vanilla maple syrup. And you should, too. Top notch.

I apologize for the lazy iphone picture... I was unwilling to wait the 5 seconds it would have required to get my camera, adjust the settings, and snap a photo. These really needed to be eaten. Fast.

PANCAKE INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/3 cup milk (or more)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl (both flours, baking powder, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg) and set aside. In a separate bowl stir together the milk and vanilla extract and slowly pour into the dry ingredients, stirring just until incorporated (don't over-mix pancake batter or else too much gluten will be released and they'll be consistency of bread, not fluffy pancakes). If the batter is too thick, add more milk. Add the bananas and melted butter and stir to combine.

Heat a griddle or nonstick pans over medium heat. I found that I needed very little to no butter on my nonstick pans, but its up to you if you want to use it or not. Dollop about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook for a few minutes on the first side and a bit less on the second (if they need more browning, you can always flip it back over). Repeat with remaining batter. Keep warm while the rest of the pancakes are cooking.

VANILLA MAPLE SYRUP
1/2 cup pure maple syrup (the real stuff)
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix above ingredients together, heat briefly in the microwave and pour over pancakes. Mmmm. Drool.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you all loved these as much as we did. I was afraid I just couldn't convey how good they were, so I'm glad you were convinced. I'm already thinking about making them again!

    ReplyDelete