Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sausage Egg & Cheese "Bodega" Sandwich

Confession: I have this terrible, horrible, no good, very bad habit of prematurely turning my nose up at foods like this... I'm foolish in the worst way possible. Before even tasting certain foods, I've decided that they're too simple, or have too many processed ingredients, or whatever soap box I'm on that day. Its honestly terrible... I'm trying to get better, because I am wrong 99.99% of the time. Dead wrong. Hence my first experience with a sausage, egg, & cheese breakfast sandwich at a bodega in NYC. I was on my way to a museum one morning and a friend thought we should get coffee and split a sandwich from his corner bodega. Trying to be polite I said, "sure!'... but was thinking, "oh gross. a bodega egg sandwich? i'll probably take one bite and let him finish the rest."

Time stopped when I tasted that sandwich. And I've thought about it many times since. Lucky me that I stumbled upon a recipe for such a sandwich last week... even more lucky: I'm going to NYC in less than 2 weeks and am assured that the best bodega breakfast sandwich is actually on the corner of a different friend's block.

INGREDIENTS
1 english muffin
1 teaspoon butter
1 egg, plus 1 egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons water
1 slice american cheese
1 patty breakfast sausage (I used turkey)
salt & pepper

Cook the breakfast sausage until cooked through (if you buy precooked sausage then just warm it up). Keep warm.

Meanwhile, beat the egg and water together in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir. Heat a small pan on medium heat and melt the butter. Pour the eggs into the pan and swirl the pan to coat the whole bottom in a thin, even layer. Place the cheese in the middle of the egg and cook for about 1 1/2 minutes, or until cooked. Using a spatula fold the egg over the cheese like the fold of an envelope... continue to fold sides of the egg on top of the cheese, working clockwise (all together 4 folds). Cook for another 30 seconds.

Place on half of a toasted english muffin and top with the sausage and other half of the muffin (or one of those thin bagels would be good, too). Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment