Search This Blog

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies

Not much in this life is better than a chocolate malt milkshake. My brother and I would frequent a local milkshake spot growing up called McDonald's Drug Store, which was better known for its functioning old-time soda fountain than its sundries. We (and the rest of the neighborhood) would spend afternoons trying all kinds of sodas and milkshakes- and most days, if there wasn't a line, Mr. and Mrs. McDonald would let my brother and me behind the counter to mix-up our own concoctions. This is where I had my first malted milkshake and fell in love. I actually think this is where I fell in love with milkshakes in general.

Anyways, malt. I love it. And its rare to find recipes that include it (other than milkshakes), so when I stumbled across the idea to add malted milk powder to chocolate chip cookie dough (from Pioneer Woman), I thought it was genius and knew I would love it. It is such an easy way to spice up a standard cookie dough and I imagine I'll keep coming back to this recipe frequently. The malt flavor is subtle but noticeable and the texture of this cookie is perfection: thin and crispy edges with a chewy inside. I've adapted her recipe a bit...

INGREDIENTS
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup (heaping) malted milk powder
1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 eggs (yea, I'm crazy, just estimate)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt 
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In an electric mixer beat together the butter, brown sugar, and malted milk powder. Add the chocolate syrup and vanilla and beat together for 2 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until incorporated. 

In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add to the butter mixture and beat together. Stir in the chocolate chips and refrigerate dough for about 20-30 minutes. 

Roll into heaping tablespoon-sized balls, place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 9-11 minutes at 350 degrees. Cookies will flatten and have crispy brown edges. Mmmmmmm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment