Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Chocolate Toffee Matzah Crack

Every year I buy 1 box of matzah to last me the week of Passover. I always have leftovers. I don't like matzah (not that I am supposed to), but if I think of it as a vessel for other delicious things, I am able to enjoy it. I eat it one of two ways: 1) a tiny square of it during seder that I cover with a massive amount of horseradish to clear out my sinuses, and 2) smothered with salty butter, sugar, and chocolate (see above). The first way is really just about the horseradish. The second way is really just about, well, the salty butter, sugar, and chocolate.

Also, my last note: IF YOU DON'T LIKE MATZAH AND/OR AREN'T JEWISH AND/OR ITS NOT PASSOVER MAKE THIS WITH SALTINES OR *CLUB CRACKERS* and eat it year-round. You won't be sorry.

INGREDIENTS
4-5 pieces of matzah
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
Flakey sea salt for sprinkling
Various toppings (chopped roasted nuts, cocoa nibs & toasted coconut work well)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with tin foil and cover the bottom with matzah pieces, trying to cover the whole sheet.

In a medium saucepan, heat together the butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 2-3 minutes until thick. Take off the heat and add the salt and vanilla an stir to combine. Pour over the matzah and spread with a spatula- careful, its hot!

Place in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes until nice and bubbly. Remove from oven, place on a cooling rack and sprinkle the chocolate pieces on top. Let sit for 3-5 minutes letting the chocolate melts.

Using a knife or offset spatula spread the chocolate to the edges and then sprinkle with your favorite toppings. Place in refrigerator for about 45 minutes, remove the pieces from the tin foil and cut into squares. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment