Search This Blog

Friday, October 13, 2017

Chocolate Olive Oil Cake

I made this cake as a present. To myself. 

I have spent the last 4 weeks following a pretty strict meal plan (no sugar/no dairy/no grains), which has seriously impacted my dessert intake. In a negative way. As in, I haven't had even a bite of dessert in 4 weeks. The horror.

So, I've come to my final day of the Whole 30 "program" and thought to myself: I deserve a treat. A chocolate treat. Interestingly, this cake is actually dairy-free (and is vegan if you make it with vegan chocolate chips), but that is a mere coincidence. One of my favorite food bloggers Smitten Kitchen posted this recipe just a few days ago and it felt like a sign-- the ultimate way to mark the end of this diet. This cake is luxurious and rich and chocolatey and earthy and very moist. It comes together in a matter of minutes and is the easiest cake to frost: just dump the ganache on top and let it spread. Make it soon, please, for me. I've got a lot of dessert catching up to do and need your help.

CAKE INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of good cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 (heaping) teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cup coffee
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

GLAZE
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon light corn syrup (helps to add shine to the glaze)
a pinch or two of kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prep an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan by lining the bottom with matching-sized piece of parchment paper and then coat with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar. Add the brown sugar and the olive oil and stir together. Add the coffee and vinegar and whisk to combine. The batter will be a bit thinner than some cakes: this is A-OK. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean but not too dry. Remove from oven, let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack and let cool completely out of the pan.

When the cake is cool, add the glaze ingredients into a small heat-proof bowl and microwave for 15 seconds at a time, stirring in between until melted and smooth (this really only took about 40 seconds for me). Pour on the cake, spread to the edges, and let cool to room temperature (the glaze will harden a bit). Serve and enjoy!!


1 comment: