Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spicy Macaroni and Cheese

I love mac-n-cheese. Every kind. Even the yucky powder-cheese kind. One of the best mac-n-cheeses I've ever had was from Tupelo Honey Cafe in Asheville, NC. Not only was it extra gooey, but had quite a spicy punch at the end. Unreal. I've wanted to recreate it ever since and have tried a few different times but wasn't quite pleased enough to post the recipe. I ended up giving this batch away to my friend who just had surgery, but not before stealing a few bites. I think I found a winner.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 cup grated onion
1 4oz. can diced green chiles, drained
4 tablespoons butter, separated
1/4 cup flour
2-2 1/2 cups milk/cream
12 ounces Velveeta, cubed
12 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs

Boil the macaroni in salted water 2 minutes less than instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a very large bowl mix together the cayenne, salt, pepper, ground mustard, nutmeg, sour cream, grated onion and diced green chiles. Set aside.

In a large soup pot melt half the butter and add the flour, stirring constantly for 3 minutes with a spatula. Slowly pour in the milk/cream, whisking constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the Velveeta and most of the pepper jack. Stir until everything is incorporated. Pour cheese sauce and pasta in the large bowl of seasoned sour cream. Stir to incorporate. Taste, moan, curse that it is supposed to bake before you can eat it, adjust for salt & pepper and other seasonings. Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle remaining jack cheese on top.

Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and mix with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle on top of the mac-n-cheese and bake for about 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees, or until bubbly.

* Dry seasoning mixture adapted from Sunny Anderson's Spicy Mac&Cheese

2 comments:

  1. I love any and every kind of macaroni and cheese - even ones with vegetables in them!

    And I adore spicy food, so this recipe is a real find for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also adore spicy food... its the best.
    I'm so glad you stumbled across this recipe... Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete