Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Avocado, Apple, Blue Cheese, & Steak Salad

The story behind this salad is that a version of it was first made during a beach weekend when a few of my girlfriends and I were celebrating our friend's last few days as a bachelorette. We all ooh'ed and ahh'ed about it all weekend and have each made and served it at almost every possible occasion since. The last time I made it I grilled a filet and popped it on top (as pictured), although most of the time I make this as a side salad without any major protein. Its amazing either way. The 2 critical items: the dressing, and avocado. If you change it around at all, thats fine, but don't ditch either of those things.


Salad Ingredients
5 ounces mixed baby greens
1 avocado, chopped
1/2-1 granny smith apple, chopped
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 handful candied pecans (homemade or not)
3 ounces crumbled blue cheese

Put all of ingredients together in a large salad bowl. Prepare the salad dressing...

Salad Dressing
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Put all dressing ingredients in a small jar. Put lid on tightly and shake to incorporate/emulsify the oil and vinegar. Pour however much dressing you want on the salad. Toss together and serve (with or without filet, although I'm going to just say that pretty much anything is better with filet on top. And yes, I do remember that I used to be a "vegetarian." Shhh.).

No comments:

Post a Comment